This CNN slideshow considers better choices for candy on Halloween:
- Go with the dark chocolate. It is healthier (higher in antioxidants) than milk chocolate.
- “Fun-size” is a healthier portion than the regular size bars.
- Chewy “fruit” snacks are not fruit. They are candy. And, soft and chewy candies are really bad for your teeth since they stick on them for a prolonged period of time.
- Nuts and popcorn balls might be a healthier option. (I worry about the aspiration danger with nuts, especially for young children).
- Hand out toys instead of treats. (Yeah, right…)
- Lollipops without the gooey centers are usually smaller, less caloric, and don’t get stuck to teeth.
Finally, some advice for kids: Share your candy (with your parents)!