AHN Pediatrics—Pediatric Alliance is now offering telehealth visits to our patients.
These visits will be offered during regular office hours as well as select evening hours and will need to be scheduled ahead of time.
Telehealth involves the use of technology to provide clinical services to our patients without an in-person visit.
- It allows your child to be evaluated by one of our pediatric providers without leaving your home.
- Parents and caregivers are encouraged to call the office if they have important questions or concerns about their child. Our triage staff and providers will continue to provide telephone advice when appropriate as always. This is NOT a telehealth visit.
- Telehealth visits are scheduled appointments that we would typically schedule in the office, but they are conducted via technology rather than in person.
- These visits will be billed to your insurance, just as your in-person office visit would be.
After Hours Telehealth Visits
As part of our efforts to care for our patients and minimize exposure during this time of increased social distancing, our Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants are available for patients calling after hours with urgent, acute symptoms that don’t require an emergency room visit, but that cannot wait until the next day. When a patient calls their AHN Pediatrics office after hours, one of our pediatric triage nurses will review their symptoms and determine the appropriate course of action. Some concerns can be addressed by the nurse over the phone. Other non-urgent concerns may be sent to the patient’s regular AHN Pediatrics office for follow-up the next business day. After hours telehealth appointments are available as follows: Monday through Friday from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM; Saturday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM and Sunday from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Our staffing is limited during these hours, so we ask that you call your regular AHN Pediatrics office during normal business hours regarding any non-urgent issues or symptoms or that arise earlier in the day.
*NOTE: The cost you are responsible for depends largely on your insurance coverage, however, most insurance carriers have indicated their intent to temporarily waive patient cost share in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, we are not collecting any amount for your telehealth care at the time of service. Specific questions about your benefits or coverage should be directed to your insurance carrier.
Reasons for telehealth visits:
Not all problems can be addressed via telehealth. Some issues will require an exam or testing in the office in order to provide the best care for your child.
The following problems CAN typically be addressed via telehealth:
- Other behavioral/developmental concerns
- Ongoing GI issues, such as constipation
- Pink eye
- Feeding concerns and reflux
- Asthma follow-up
- Most Rashes/Eczema
- Some Injuries
We cannot prescribe antibiotics over the phone for conditions such as:
- Ear pain
- Throat complaints, which may need a strep culture
- Pneumonia or wheezing or respiratory distress
- Urinary complaints which may need a urine culture
We also cannot conduct telehealth visits for the following:
- Well-Child Check-ups
- Newborn weight checks
*NOTE: These lists are not all inclusive. Our staff and providers will assess each patient individually and determine the best course of action
Scheduling a telehealth visit:
- Call your AHN Pediatrics office as you normally would. Our triage staff will screen your concerns to determine the type of service needed: phone advice, telehealth or in- person visit
- If the concern is eligible for a telehealth visit, you will schedule an appointment and will be provided with instructions.
o You will receive a link for the visit via text or email.
o We encourage parents/patients to join visits on a smartphone or tablet instead of a laptop or desktop.
o Please run the “test my device” before joining the visit.
o Please make sure that you and your child are in a private, quiet, comfortable, well-lit space at that time.
o Please utilize your WiFi if possible for a better connection.
oPlease weigh your child and take their temperature prior to the visit and have this information ready for the provider.
Rest assured that we are here for your family. Please see our website for updated information and other important resources with reliable information.
Please feel free to call your AHN Pediatrics – Pediatric Alliance office with any questions you may have.
*NOTE: Please be sure to call your AHN Pediatrics office to schedule your newborn appointment with your pediatrician as soon as you and your baby are discharged from the hospital. During this COVID-19 outbreak, our morning appointments are limited to well baby visits for patients 18 month and under so we can do our best to allow our most vulnerable little ones to be in the office without any risk of exposure to sick patients.